If you need to leave this website quickly, press the button.Escape

Are you Abusing Someone?

You may be abusing someone if you:

  • Purposely embarrass your partner.
  • Put your partner down on a regular basis or frequently call them names.
  • Use intimidation to get your partner to do what you want.
  • Control what your partner does, who they talk to, or where they go.
  • Prevent your partner from seeing friends or family members.
  • Insist you have to be in control of the money.
  • Have to make all the decisions.
  • Tell your partner they are a bad parent or threaten to take away or hurt your children.
  • Prevent your partner from working or attending school.
  • Think that violence in a relationship is “normal”, “no big deal”, or deny your use of violence.
  • Destroy property, punch holes in the wall, or break important things.
  • Intimate your partner with guns, knives, or other weapons.
  • Shove, slap, hit, or strangle your partner.
  • Try to convince your partner not to get help, and if they do call 911, pressure them to lie or drop the charges.
  • Threaten to commit suicide.
  • Threaten to kill your partner.
  • Force your partner to do things sexually.

If you believe you are abusing your partner, and seek to change, help is available. Please call Advocates for Family Peace 1-800-909-8336 or 218-326-0388 trained staff are available to talk with you about steps you can take to live a violent free life. If you do not wish to talk to someone locally please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline 1-800-787-3224.

Itasca County Office
Advocates for Family Peace
1611 NW 4th Street
Grand Rapids, MN 55744
(Ph) 218-326-0388
or 1-800-909-8336
(Fax) 218-327-4052
Virginia Office
Advocates for Family Peace
820 9th Street N, # 150
Virginia MN, 55792
(Ph) 218-248-5512
NE St. Louis County Office
Advocates for Family Peace
302 E Howard St, # 127
Hibbing, MN 55746
(Ph) 218-263-8344
or 1-800-909-8336
(Fax) 218-440-1084